St. Joseph’s College of Commerce, formerly was a part of St. Joseph’s College which was established in the year 1882 as an educational initiative
by the French Foreign Mission Fathers for the purpose of imparting higher education.
In 1937, the management of the college was handed over to the Jesuits, a worldwide Catholic religious order with a special focus on education.
The Jesuits also run other premier institutions in India, like Loyola College, Chennai, St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta and St. Xavier’s College Mumbai.
The Department of Commerce was established in the parent college in 1949. In 1972, this department became an independent college under the name of
St. Joseph’s College of Commerce. It is recognized under Section 2(f) and 12B of the UGC Act.
It became an autonomous institution in October 2004. St. Joseph’s College of Commerce was recognized as a “College with Potential for Excellence”
in February 2010 by UGC.
The college aims at a holistic and integral formation of its students, fostering in them a spirit of academic excellence, social concern and character formation, shaping them to become “men and women” for others
The motto of the College is ‘Fide et Labore’ (‘Faith and Toil’), which serves as an inspiration behind the vision and the educational praxis of the college.
From the beginning, the College has striven to be a state of the art institution for commerce education. The thrust has been on the pursuit of multi-dimensional educational excellence. Currently it enjoys an ‘A’ grade with the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The college has been responsive to the significant changes and developments in the field of higher education, as well as in the domain of commerce and business.
Milestones of the Institution:
• Established in 1972– fruitful existence for 43 years and celebrated its Ruby Jubilee.
• Recognized under Section 2(f) and 12B of the UGC Act.
• Date of conferment of Autonomy – October 2005, Extension of Autonomy – September 2010.
• One of the first five Colleges conferred with Autonomy in the State of Karnataka.
• Reaccredited by NAAC with ‘A’ grade in the third cycle of re-accreditation.
• Recognized as a “College with Potential for Excellence” by the University Grants Commission in 2010.
• Recognized as a Research Centre in 2010 by the Bangalore University.